Thursday, February 12, 2015

A2Z Challenge: N is for New


I spent some time considering what to do for the N-mani. The easy way would be to just wear one of the new polishes I’ve got, but that’s way too easy. This IS a challenge after all.

So I decided that I’d try a new technique: Dry water marbling. I know the technique has been around for a while, but it’s new to me and that’s what counts. I’ve had a couple of goes with water marbling but it hasn’t really ended up with something seriously successful. So let’s see if dry water marbling goes better, shall we?

Okay: Room temperature water, check. Paper towel and orange stick, check. A couple of polishes, check. New painted nails (NailNation 3000’s Carpe Diem), check. Acetone, cotton buds and a clean up brush, check. Scissors to cut out my designs, check.

All set to go, but the first polishes I chose didn’t spread out in the water. Damn! All the girls on Youtube make it look so easy, and their polishes just spread out on the water as if it was paid for it. Mine didn’t.

I growled and went for a couple of other polishes. Same result.

Third time is a charm, they say, and for me it was too. The third set of polishes I tried with actually worked, YAY! It was Orly’s Fabfuchsia and Essie’s Trophy Wife. When the polishes stopped spreading I made a design in the water with my orange stick. That’s actually not that easy either even though it looks easy on videos. I tried once more and this time it actually looked useable. 
Take a look: 


I let it dry for maybe 20 minutes before I carefully fished it out of the water. It was a bit tricky to make it let go of the sides of the glass, but I managed. I cut bits out that would fit my nails. I dapped the pieces almost dry with my fingers and placed the bits onto my nails, one at a time. I pressed them onto the nails and let it sit for a minute before I started the clean up. The clean up was much easier than it was with the wet water marbling technique! I applied a layer of Orly’s holo glitter topper Shine on Crazy Diamond and then my mani was done.

Take a look at the final result: 


Do you like it? I really do! 

I'm so thrilled it finally worked!


Here are the polishes I used: 


I know it’s not perfect but wow, I’m really thrilled with it!

I love, love, love how it turned out and the fact that I could actually do it!
This will definitely not be the last time I try out the dry water marble technique. Have you tried it yourself? If yes, how did it go?
Which kind of mani would you have made for this challenge?


The challenge next week is Old. I haven’t quite figured out what to do yet, but I’ll come up with something so stay tuned.

You should also check out what these super cool girls did – I can’t wait to see it myself:



24 comments:

  1. I think it was worth all the trouble you had with the polishes not spreading :D I love the result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that I am super pleased myself :)

      Delete
  2. Such a gorgeous pattern, you did a great job I think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to let the marble dry and cut your own decals. You did a great job with this new technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing water marble! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really gorgeous and I like the end result - super wow :-D <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased with this myself, so thank you! <3

      Delete
  7. Wow! This is stunning! And if there's less mess than traditional water marbling I'm gonna have to give it a go x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is, so you should! And if I can get it to work, then so can you :)

      Delete