Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Icing ~ Radio Superstar - on a gradient



Icing ~ Radio Superstar
Clear base with pink and blue glitter and silver stars

I love Icing’s glitters. The ones I’ve got are all amazing, and I am a bit sad that I don’t have easy access to them. Fortunately I’ve been able to get some of them from sweet girls in the US, the Radio Superstar included.

I made a gradient as a base for this glitter. I started out with one coat of Models Own “Snow White” to make a good base for the colours.

Then I used Orly’s “Sweet Peacock” from their “Birds of a Feather” collection from autumn 2011. It’s a beautiful turquoise shimmer. The other polish I used was Essie’s “Jamaica me Crazy”, which isn’t my favourite polish for reasons I don’t quite understand myself yet. But anyway, together with the blue, it made a great gradient. Take a look – I am not wearing any top coat on this pic:


And now for the glitter! I didn’t want the glitter to take over this gradient completely, so I painted some glitter on the tip of a sponge, and then dapped the glitter on. I fished around for the stars, so I gots me a star on each ring finger and on each thumb. I finished the mani with a layer of NYC Turbo drying top coat:


And here it is from a different angle:


The pretty polishes:


I love gradients, but I don’t like the cleanup afterwards. I tape my nails, and that definitely helps, but there is always something left to clean up anyway. I use an angled brush and pure acetone, but it’s as if the more I clean up, the more abused my cuticles look. And if it’s a persistent polish I’ve sponged with, then my cuticles end up looking as if a dog chewed them! If any of you girls have got a bit of advice for me about cleanup, then I shall be forever grateful!!

But anyway, back to the mani! I’m utterly pleased with this; I seriously love that glitter! What do you think? Would you have used different underwear for it – or perhaps none at all? Please do share your thoughts in the comments below! 

13 comments:

  1. Looks great :) the gradient in it self, is super cute and the glitter is a super detaile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so pleased that you like it both ways :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is a beautiful gradient - and I like the changing of tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! I love the blue/pink gradient! Great job! :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't change anything about it. Awesome manicure! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what brings a smile to my face. How you completely make a mani extra fabulous by adding a glitter topcoat to it.

    Love this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) I love changing the looks of polishes by adding a little extra :)

      Delete